Being poorly is always rubbish and is always an inconvenience, but when you’re a parent it’s so much worse. unfortunately when you are a mother and poorly you can’t just call in sick and you just have to suck it up and get on with it. I’ve compiled a list of why being a sick mother is really rubbish.
- You can’t just sleep it off and rest. You still have to get when the dictating sleep thief decides to wake. You still have to make the breakfast, still do the school run, still have to wash up and still have to do the bedtime bath routine.
- If you can’t take any good drugs when breastfeeding. Which is the one thing I hate about breastfeeding is that when I’m full of snot and cold I can’t take any decongestants and I have to soldier on through with paracetamol and Vicks. Also you can’t take any thing that would make you more drowsy as you need all the strength you can get to ‘parent’.
- You can’t just cough your guts up in the middle of the night and have to muffle the sound with your pillow for fear of waking the children. Thais just one less hassle you could do without right now.
- You know that this nasty illness you have will be spread to your child if they didn’t give it to you or you got poorly whilst your little one is poorly, you’ve then got to deal with a very dramatic and upset child whilst poorly yourself.
- Leading on from the last one, you have the fear that your poor darling husband could also get poorly and you’ll then have to look after a giant man-child too. Nothing is worse than a poorly child than a poorly husband desperate for sympathy.
- You are reminded that you aren’t a superhero and sometimes you do just need to sit on your bum and watch films back to back whilst giving the kids whatever they want for some peace.
One good thing about being a poorly mummy is that your child will not care how rough you look and still want cuddles and snuggles from you.