Learning how to grab hold of happiness and be fulfilled in life is not something that comes naturally or easy to me, but like everything I am always up for the challenge and it’s something I am continuing to focus on so I can improve myself. I have written some points down which help me stay focused and thinking in a positive way.
- For so long I believed that to have happiness I needed to know exactly where I was going in life and have complete clarity. When I turned everything on its head and started to live life with uncertainty I found my true direction in life. I love not having everything mapped out and the uncertainty of the future. As long as I continue to move then I am always going somewhere new, it’s when you stop and stay still that the problems set in and nothing can change.
- The need of approval of others is something I have always relied on heavily, but when I decided to stop needing that and start living life for my own needs, is when things began to change for me. The more I craved being told I was doing the right thing, the unhappier I became in life. I was giving away any power of mine and not trusting my own instincts in life. If I want to have a fulfilled life then I need to trust myself and follow what I believe is right.
- Living life in the future and always looking to the next step and achievement can be actually pretty disheartening. I have reached many milestones in life which I thought would complete me, but in fact they haven’t and I need to treat life as one big journey and enjoy the ride, as the only person who can bring me happiness is myself.
- Understanding that not every day will go the way you intended, but picking yourself back up and carrying on. Some days negativity will creep in and motivation will slow down. This doesn’t mean it’s won it’s just a minor bump in the road and recovering from this quickly is what is important.
- Letting the negative thoughts through, but remembering to question them and disprove them. Everyday I will have negative thoughts but everyday I have the ability to question them, they are not fact and I have power over them.
- Always challenging myself and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. The last year I have worked so hard pushing myself out of comfort zone, and the progress I have made in a year still shocks me today. I used to get anxiety attacks doing the food shop, but am now able to turn up somewhere like Britmums where I knew no body and I was able to connect, make plans and navigate myself around London. It’s not easy and anxiety is always there, but knowing I can beat it and challenge it is such a powerful and rewarding feeling.
- Stop focusing on what is lacking in life. As humans we have a habit of always looking at what life is lacking and not being satisfied with what we have. Sometimes you need to take a moment to be present in the moment and just enjoy what you have around you.
- Neglecting what I love. When I first became a mother I stopped doing stuff for me and it was not good for my mental wellbeing. I now know to focus on my passions in life to make sure that I can always continue to grow and always have my purpose.
I would love to hear of anyone else’s tips for happiness.